Cultural Development Cell
Cultural Development Cell
The cultural centre has been set up with the objective introduce the students to the culture, values and intrinsic ideals at the local and national level. To this end ,the centre organizes programmes to bring out the latent talents among the students and to recognize the local artists dedicated to working in this field .In certain programmes this cell collaborates with local NGO such as ‘Enajori”, ‘Lohitya’ etc, working for the cause of cultural and social development.
Bahona College Women Cell
BAHONA COLLEGE WOMEN CELL
Bahona College Women’s Study Development Cell was established on March 8, 2004 under the direction and guidance offered by Dr. Aparna Mahanta, Director, Centre for Women’s Studies, Dibrugarh University.
Activities so far….
1. A blood donation and awareness camp was organized on 28th December, 2010 with the collaboration of NSS wings of Bahona College, and Jorhat Medical College & Hospital for the students and local people.
2. On 24th January, 2013, National Girl Child Day was observed by the cell. A medical camp under supervision of Dr. Arun Baruah was held to examine haemoglobin and blood pressure of the students and faculty.
3. Various competitions like “Pitha Competition”, “Mehandi Competition”, ‘Salad Compettion’, ‘Pickles Competition’, ‘Embroidery Competition’, ‘Rangoli Competition’ were held among students and women from neighboring area on 5th February’ 2014 . These activities help in the generation of self employment among students as well as women of neighboring area.4.A seminar was organized by the WSDC, Bahona College on March 8, 2007 in the Rupkonwar Seminar Staff of Bahona College with Dr. C.R. Dutta, Principal as the Chair person and Dr. Mrs. Pranati Barthakur, Advocate of the Jorhat Bar Association as the invited speaker to speak on the topic â€˜Womenâ€™s awareness on the statutory provision for women in the Indian Constitution. The deliberation on the topic was very much fruitful to the women presence tin the meeting. The talk on the topic gave much awareness to the listeners regarding fundamental rights offered by the Constitution to women and present provisions in the Constitution of solving family problems under the Domestic violence Act.
5.The International Womenâ€™s Day was celebrated by the Bahona College women cell on March 8, 2008. A meeting was organized which was hired by Dr. C.R. Dutta, Principal Bahona College and the wall magazine â€œAstitwaâ€ was inaugurated by Mrs. Bonti Dutta, an ex-teacher of this college. All the same meeting Mr. Nobin Gohain and Mr. Rafique Ahmed, of Bahona College delivered Lecturer on Panchayati Raj and women Empowerment respectively.
6.A one-day programme on Natural Disaster and Awareness - Specially the earthquake, was organizd by the cell on 19th September, 2009. The programme was conducted by the Department of Civil Defence, Jorhat, Mr. Nabin Das, Dy. Controller of Civil Defence delivered a lecture. The programme was fruitful with a demonstration class.
7.A five day UGC sponsored workshop on "Capacity Building of Women Managers in Higher Education" was organized by the women's cell with collaboration of the Dept. of English from 27th January to 31st January, 2009. Mrs. Shantana Saikia, HOD Dept. of English and a trainer for the capacity building programme, was the coordinator of this 5 day workshop.
8.On 26th November, 2009 women studies Research centre, GU organized Rosa Luxemburg Foundation, Berlin sponsored workshop on "Woman and work", a probe into the livelihood strategies of women in Assam, reflected in the Assamese writings. All members of the cell participated in this workshop which also included women writers, school and college teachers of Jorhat.
9.The International women's Day was celebrated on 8th March, 2011, with a colourful agenda. Three renowned guests - Mrs. Shanta Sarmah, a nature lover, founder of "Prakriti" and Mr. Mayur Borah, DDM, NABARD delivered valuable speeches addressing a huge gathering of different self help groups of the locality. Mrs. Anupama Dutta Saikia, a Sahitya Akademy awardee for translation literature, was felicitated in this function. She also inaugurated "Angona" a translated book of short stories of renowned writers of the world written by different members of the literary sub-cell of Bahona College Women's Cell. The book was sponsored by Mrs. Pronoti Duarah, Associate Prof. Dept of History and was dedicated to the memory of her mother in law Late Kanaklata Borah, a freedom fighter.
11.Bahona college Women's cell member Dr. Dipty Goswami and Dr. Modhusmrita Baruah Changkakoti, both participated in the National workshop on capacity Building of women managers held at J.B. College on 20-24th March 2011. Other two members Mrs. Binoda Bora and Mrs. Papori Bora of Bahona College women cell participated in the National Workshop held at DKD college on 9th - 13th May, 2011.
10.A two day National Seminar on Women Empowerment was organized by Bahona College Women's Cell in collaboration with the Faculty of Home Science, AAU Jorhat on 10th and 11th August, 2012. Dr. Streamlet Dkhar, Professor Department of Khasi, NEHU, Shillong, presented the key note address.
11.On 7th and 8th March, 2013 International Women's Day was observed. On the first day, Dr. Arun Borah and his associates conducted a medical camp at the local Panchayat office for the students and local women. On 8th March, a public meeting was organized by the cell which was presided over by Dr. Prasanna Kr. Dutta, Principal Bahona College. Dr. Adinath Sarmah, Principal Medical Institute, Jorhat, was the Chief Guest and delivered a popular talk on Psychiatric status of the adolesence stage of the students. Mrs. Dipty Dutta Goswami, Rtrd Head of the Dept. of Education inaugurated "ASTITWA" the yearly publish wall magazine of the cell. The first vol. of the magazine "Jyotirmoyee" was inaugurated by Sri. Niren Baruah, President, Governing Body.
12. Mrs. Ranjita Bhattacharjee, retired professor of Bahona College, released a seminar proceeding book A Women Empowerment of Rural India edited by Dr. Dipti Goswami on 14th December 2013.
|| Ms. Prity Bordoloi
|| Ms. Arunima Baruah
|| Dr. Indira Baruah
|| Ms. Manju Devi
|| Ms. Mainumoni Saikia
|| Ms. Prity Bordoiloi
|| Dr. Dipti Goswami
|| Ms. Purnima Dutta
|| Dr. Dipti Goswami
|| Dr. Indira Baruah
|| Dr. Madhusmita Baruah Changkakot
Community Action Projects
Community Action Projects
1. The International Women’s Day was celebrated on 8th March, 2004 and was presided over by Mrs. Punya Prova Hazarika, an eminent Social worker of the Bahona Locality, where a large number of women of nearby villages, Mahila Samity and Self Help Groups exchanged their views regarding various women’s problems. Mrs. Anima Baruah, Headmistress, Charigaon Girls’ High School, the appointed speaker and Mrs. Sakuntala Devi, Head of the Deptt. of Economics of this college delivered speeches on the International Women’s Day.
2. Bahona College WSDC Day was observed on 15th October, 2004 by Blood Group identification camp was started at 9-30 a.m. in collaboration with Jorhat Civil Hospital and the sale counter of GNRC, Guwahati, where hundreds of local women joined along with their children and relatives.
3. Training and Demonstration Program organized by WSDC :
WSDC, Bahona College organized a Training cum Demonstration on food preservation for the members of local Mahila Samity and self help groups of the Bahona area on December 26, 2005 in collaboration with the Department of Horticulture, Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat. Hundreds of beneficiaries from every nook and corner f the entire region including a number of self-help groups of Bahona took part in this program.
4. Celebration of the International Women’s Day :
The International Women’s Day, 2006 was celebrated by the WSDC, Bahona College in cooperation with the Uttar Charigaon Anchalik Mahila Samity on March 8, 2006. A public meeting was organized presided over by Smt. Durgeswari Kalita, a member of the Uttar Charigaon Anchalik mahila Samity with hundreds of invitees from local Mahila Samitees and lady teachers of the local High Schools, where Dr. Mrs. Pinky Baruah of Dahotiya Primary Health Centre graced the occasion as the invited Speaker. She delivered a valuable speech on Health care necessary for pregnant women and their children. Smt. Sarada Dutta, President of Sanjibani Mahila Samity spoke on the occasion. Mrs. S. Devi, a Senior Faculty of this College and the chairperson of Kanaklata Mahila Urban Bank delivered a fruitful talk on self-dependence of women and advantages offered by different banks.
5. Annual General Meeting :
The Annual General Meeting of the WSDC, Bahona College was held on December 20, 2006 where a new working committee of the cell was formed. Mrs. Arunima Baruah, HOD of Assamese was selected as the Working President and Dr. Indira Baruah of the Department of Zoology as the secretary.Mrs. Purnima Dutta Phukan continued as the Treasurer for the next Session.
6. One Day Workshop on Food Preservation :
WSDC Bahona college organized a One-Day Workshop on Food Preservation for Self-help groups of the Bahona Locality, sponsored by the Department of Horticulture, Assam Agricultural University on December 22, 2006. Dr. C.R. Dutta, Principal of this College inaugurated the Workshop, where more than 30 (thirty) numbers female-participants coming from different Self Help Groups were trained by the departmental trainers sent from the sponsor on preserving fruits and vegetables for a prolonged period. A talk was also delivered by Dr. Ananta Saikia of A.A.U., Jorhat who expressed his views on the topic. Certificates were given at the end of the workshop.
7. Womenâ€™sHealth Awareness Camp :
WSDC, Bahona College launched a program on womenâ€™s health awareness camp in cooperation with the local Mahila Samitees on January 5, 2007, where two eminent physicians of Jorhat district participated. Dr. Bolin Kharghoria, retired Superintendent of Debeswar Sharma Civil Hospital, Jorhat delivered a speech on advantages offered by the Government machineries for development and Self-grown income sources of women with special reference to the National Scheme for villagers (Rastriya Gramin Achoni). Another invited speaker, Dr. Apurba Sharma, an ex-student of Bahona College, delivered a speech on blood pressure.
8. Felicitation :
WSDC, Bahona College has already proposed to offer felicitations to worthy women in the Society, and offered felicitation that day to:
Mrs. Nalinibala Hazarika the newly elected President of the Jorhat Sahitya Sabha. Mrs. Hazarika expressed her heavenly pleasure through recital of a self-composed power. She also inaugurated the second issue of ASTITWA, the wall magazine of the Cell.
Mrs. Jina Das Bora, a senior lecturer of the Department of physics of this College was felicitated for bringing a good name to this College by winning the fame of best poster presentation in the last Annual Conference of the National Science Congress held at the Annamalai University.
Mrs. Dipty Dutta Goswami and Mrs. Ranjita Bhattacharjee, retired teachers of this College were also felicitated from WSDC, Bahona College for their invaluable services.
9. Fabric and Painting Training :
A four day training programme on fabric painting was organizd by Bahona College women cell from 12th to 15th February, 2008, with the help of pidilite company. Mr. Parag Konwar, an executive of the pidilite industries participated as resource person in the Training programme.
10. Medical Camp :
A free medical camp was organized by the Bahona College women cell on 19th Sept., 2008 at Bahona College. A good No. of people received free treatment by five eminent doctors of Jorhat Civil Hospital. On that day a blood donation camp was also organized. Dr. Ranjit Kr. Barua, incharge of Blood Bank, J.D.S. Deliberate about the fruitful of blood donation where a fair number of students and staff of the college donated blood.
11.A one-day training programme on preservation of Ginger was organized on 22nd December, 2010 for the local women coming from different self help groups.
12.A Competition on Art and craft (handloom Garments, pickle preparation, Rongoli etc.) was organized on 12th March, 2011 during the period of college week among the students and self help groups in the locality to train them on different heads.
13.A one day flower arrangement training programme was organized on 12th March, 2012. About 40 students of the college participated in the programme.
14. GSCASH was formed in Bahona college at the initiative of the women cell in March, 2013.
15. Bahona College, Women Cell organized a â€œFood Processing Programmeâ€ in the college on 30th Octoberâ€™2013. The target group of this programme was local women, girls and self-help groups of the neighbouring locality of the college.
16. National Girls Child Day was observed by the women cell, Bahona College at Kumar Gaon, on 24th Januaryâ€™ 2014. A day long health check up of girl students and local women was conducted on this very day.
17. On 25th Januaryâ€™2014, an awareness programme was organized among the students on â€œFinancial Assistance of Banks on the establishment of Industriesâ€. The programme was assisted by Bahona College, Women Cell in collaborating with â€œMegha Food Productsâ€ and Small & Medium Scale Industries Development Corporation, Government of India.
18. A competition on Art and Craft (Handloom, pickle preparation etc.) among the students and local women was organized by the Bahona , Women cell on 5th Februaryâ€™2014.
19. A one month training programme on â€œCutting and tailoringâ€ was held in the college from 5th February to 7th Marchâ€™ 2014 in sponsored by NEDFi. The programme was inaugurated by Mrs. Pritee Bordoloi and honourable principal of the college, Dr. Prasanna Kr. Dutta chaired the dice.
20. International Womenâ€™s day was celebrated on 8th Marchâ€™2014 by the women cell of the college. Dr. Madhusmita C. Baruah, secretary of the cell organized the program. The chief guests of the program were- Mrs. Lakhimi Baruah, Managing Director of Kanaklata Mahila Bank, Jorhat and Sri Akshay M. Sarmah, General Manager, NEDFi. The other guests of the program were- Mrs. Sakuntala Devi, executive member of Kanaklata Mahila Bank and Mrs. Niti Patra, retired faculty of Poltical Science. Valuable speech was delivered by Mrs. Santana Saikia, head of the department, English. The participants of cutting & tailoring program also gave their thanks to the college for organizing the program. Wall -magazine of women cell â€œAstitwaâ€ was inaugurated by Mrs. Sakuntala Devi.